#Backup, #Failure, #I Hate Technology, #Sandisk Cruzer

The Perils of Technology

The Sandisk Cruzer 4GB flash drive was my lifeline; it held all of my important files. Last night the drive died and I lost nine months of work and financial information. I obviously should have been backing up those files, but I had never experienced that sort of failure with a Sandisk flash drive. I have an older Cruzer micro that just keeps on working after four years of abuse, so why would I expect anything else from the newer one?

Lesson semi-learned on backing up files. But mostly, I’m just angry about it because, hell that’s nine months of work. And finance tracking. And dammit, why would it fail?

Son of a bitch.

I hate technology some times, and I hate that I rely on it this much. Oh well, life continues, right?

7 Responses to “The Perils of Technology”

1. Mike

February 15, 2011 @ 12:41 am

On a slightly positive note, perhaps I’ll get a chance to clean up some of my working files.

2. Mike

February 15, 2011 @ 12:42 am

But on a negative note, I’ve lost nine months of work on this site, including the background, portfolio development, and my logo update. Means I’ve got to try and recreate all of it. >:(

3. Mel

March 3, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

I’m late on this, but I have that same USB drive. This is my biggest fear. I have probably backed it up only a couple of times. I need to get on that…

4. Mike

March 3, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

Flash drives are fairly volatile. Back up regularly.

5. Larry

March 17, 2011 @ 12:04 am

A few months ago I bought a HP one from Meijer (16GB) that was on sale for a little over $40. It never worked. Computer saw it as something else entirely and wouldn’t work. Ever. So don’t buy one of those.
    Over Christmas break I bumped into my 8GB Cruzer as it was sticking out of my computer one day. It stopped working.

• Mike

March 17, 2011 @ 8:36 am

I think I put too much stock in the reliability of these things. By the way, did you try to return it to either Meijer or HP? I think the manufacturer would typically try to replace the defective product but I could be wrong.

• Larry

March 25, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Threw the receipt out as soon as I got it. I mean if only I had a USB to back up my paper receipts!!!