#ACL, #Frustration, #Physical Therapy

ACL Fail: Episode 302

It appears that my ACL adventure might not be over. For the past couple of months my knee has begun to loosen up, meaning that it felt as if the tibia was beginning to slip forward in more and more situations than I thought were appropriate for my level of rehabilitation.

This is not all that uncommon for someone that has gone through this surgery.

Now, at first I suspected this was because of a lack of muscle strength due in part to the patellar tendon pain I had been experiencing but as the months went on the movement was beginning to exhibit itself in day to day activities, and the pain has really only increased as a result.

I thought perhaps I was worrying myself over nothing, I do this often relating to issues like this, but in this case perhaps they were relatively well founded.

I went to my orthopedic surgeon a few days ago and he confirmed my self diagnosis: the knee was indeed a bit loose. The anterior drawer and lachman tests turned up positive, however he could not produce a positive pivot shift which gave him, and by extension me, a little hope that this is all salvageable.

He has prescribed a six week course of physical therapy in an effort strengthen the surround muscles in the hopes that this will solve my issue.

Here’s seriously hoping this is the case. I don’t particularly want to experience this again.

6 Responses to “ACL Fail: Episode 302”

1. Mel

March 11, 2010 @ 2:43 am

Sorry to hear about this. While it may not be all that uncommon for it to happen to some people, it doesn’t make it any easier, either. :p

2. Mike

March 11, 2010 @ 9:38 am

I’m starting to feel like PT might not be the answer. At the same time, the significant meniscal damage that I had might make it impossible for that movement to ever be completely fixed. We’ll see what the doc says in April and whether or not a repeat surgery is necessary or a second opinion is forthcoming.

3. Mel

March 11, 2010 @ 9:36 pm

Another surgery would definitely not be ideal (at least, I’m certainly that’s how you’re feeling at the moment!). If it turns out to be something that can’t ever completely fix…I wonder what another surgery would even do for it.

4. Mike

March 13, 2010 @ 2:58 am

I’ll tell you, it doesn’t feel better than prior to surgery at this point. It feels worse now. I will be sorely disappointed if this is the best result.

5. Mel

March 13, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

I’ve been doing a little research and having a repeated surgery is not unheard of. I just can’t find any information about whether or not another surgery actually keeps this from happening a second time. But it might. Knee loosening doesn’t happen in every case (the first time around).

6. Mike

March 13, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

I’ve been doing research constantly for the past two months on this very subject. I understand that having the surgery initially does not restore ‘normal’ function but near normal.

Yeah, loosening can happen, but that means some underlying issue needs to be addressed, meaning a second surgery might or might not help. The unfortunate part is, I chose the graft I did in an effort to avoid this.